A Resource Guide to Human Resource Management
Human resource management concerns managing the human capital of an organization. This consists of hiring, evaluating, and compensating employees. The techniques of human resource management reveal the goals and the practices of a business. With proficient strategies human resource management can help retain essential employees.
- Employee Attraction: Texas A&M University’s Human Resource Management guide to attracting and retaining employees.
- Recruitment and Selection: A guide to recruiting and selecting employees.
- Interview Questions: Sample questions for a successful interview.
- Obstacles: Lists of obstacles that may possibly occur during an interview.
- Affirmative Action: An extensive guide to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Reviewing Resumes: Resume toolkit for human resource management.
- Employment Interviews: New York State Department of Civil Service provides a 31-page pamphlet of conducting an efficient interview.
- Job Descriptions: The U. S. Small Business Administration provides guidance for writing efficient job descriptions.
- Employee Compensation: Human Resource compensation guide.
- Garnishing: An extensive resource on the legalities of wage garnishment.
- Overtime: Examples of calculating bonuses for overtime compensation.
- Family and Medical Leave Act: A guide to calculating the Family and Medical Leave Act rolling year method.
- Wage Types: Cite HR provides a guide to wage types and one-time payments.
- Employee Benefits: A guide to the taxability of employee benefits.
- Employee Handbook: Advice for developing an employee handbook.
- Tips for Employee Handbook: Seven tips to establishing an employee handbook.
- American Society for Training & Development: The United States’ largest organization committed to workplace training.
- New Employee Orientation: A guide on how to orientate new employees.
- Managing Performance: Three steps to managing an employee’s performance.
- Performance Management: An in-depth guide to developing standards, observing, and evaluating an employee’s performance.
- Performance Appraisal: A comprehensive look at the process involved in performance appraisals.
Health and Safety
- Employer Responsibilities: The United States Department of Labor lists the responsibilities of employers as required by the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970.
- Programs: This factsheet points out possible barriers that could make it difficult to develop and implement a safety program.
- Health and Safety: A safety guide for human resource professionals.
- Safety: Manage safety in the office efficiently with this step-by-step guide.
- Stress Management: Recognize, reduce, and manage stress in the workplace with this in-depth advice.
Employee Issues, or Behavior Problems
- Difficulty Employees: Nine tips for dealing with difficult employees.
- Firing an Employee: Six steps to firing an employee.
- Performance Problems: A three-part series about identifying performance issues and taking action to address the problem.
- Sexual Harassment: A factsheet for preventing sexual harassment.
- Violence in the Workplace: An OHSA guide filled with helpful information for identifying and preventing violence in the workplace.
- Drugs in the Workplace; The United States Department of Heath and Human Services factsheet on drugs in the workplace.
- Termination: Advice for successfully terminating an employee.
Laws and Ethics
- American Association for Affirmative Action: The association defines the purpose of affirmative action and provides a PDF of detailed information about affirmative action.
- Read my Genes: Claire Andre and Manuel Velasquez explore the ethical dilemma of genetic testing in the hiring process.
- Religion at Work: A comprehensive article probing religion at the workplace.
- Ethics in the Workplace: Common questions about the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch in this nine-part regulation.
- Workplace Harassment: The Federal Communication Commission provides tips for understanding and recognizing sexual harassment.
- Intellectual Disabilities: A factsheet focusing on disabilities in the workplace.
- Diversity: Managing diversity in the workplace.